Timi Dakolo Majek Fashek threatens to sue singer for N100m

Timi DakoloMajek Fashek threatens to sue singer for N100m

Timi Dakolo, Majek Fashek

Timi Dakolo is getting sued for copyright infringement over stealing songs of Majek Fashek.

This follows the  2016 report where Timi Dakolo first got accused by the Nigerian reggae legend Majek Fashek, according to a Punch report, of the same allegation which Timi Dakolo refuted the claims.
Majek Fashek at Afropolitan Vibesplay
Majek Fashek at Afropolitan Vibes
 (Pulse)

Now 2017 is here and fresh suits are being filed against the 'Wish me well' crooner by  Majek Fashek's reps sued for copyright infringements bordering on stealing Majek Fashek's manager  Uzoma Day Omenka for a 100million naira.
The suit is said to be filed after their return from the United Kingdom towards the end of March 2017.
playTimi Dakolo copyright licence agreement with Majek Fashek's legal rep

Timi Dakolo, telling Ynaija however has maintained, with documents to show, that he has fulfilled all necessary protocols pertaining to legal permission, by seeking the consent of Fashek's reps  before remaking the hit song in 2012.
playTimi Dakolo Copyright license agreement (Ynaija)

Uzoma, Majek's manager however maintains they will be meeting in court.
We are not taking this case lightly. We are just awaiting the arrival of our solicitors from the U.S., and the UK then we will hit the courts. For crying out loud, this guy is making money from itunes and he did what he did because he thinks in Nigeria, anything goes. If he can prove as he claimed that he paid for the use of the song and he can show concrete proof of it then he will go free, but if not, we will definitely meet in court.”
In January 2017, Uzoma, while visiting Vanguard, expressed his anger over Timi Dakolo’s lack of respect toward the veteran musician, saying,
Timi remixed the song without the knowledge of Majek Fashek, during that period that I was in the US. When I came back I heard the song on iTunes where people were downloading it and they were making money, I was surprised. As a sign of respect he would have come to meet the legend because the song is not an ordinary song."
Timi Dakoloplay
Timi Dakolo
 (Instagram)

Timi in 2016 reacting to the accusations was quoted as saying
“ My people, it saddens me to see such. I always try to do things rightly and lawfully,” Dakolo, who is also a judge on The Voice Nigeria, said in an Instagram post.
“I paid his manager to remake the song, I got my invoice, I even mentioned to him during our rehearsals at the Headies. So, honestly I don’t understand this write-up.”
“Oga Majek Fashek. I respect and love you. Your voice gives life to lyrics. You are one of the best musicians I know. God bless you.”
Timi Dakoloplay
Timi Dakolo looking dapper
\
He also added in a recent interview with Ynaija saying “I am not the kind of person to steal someone’s song without permission.
When I decided to make the song I told my management who contacted Charles Novia who acted on his behalf. I asked him and he said he can act on behalf of Majek because he had his Power of Attorney.
“He [Charles Novia] said they spoke and I paid part payment through him. And they later asked for the balance which I did. So I don’t even know what they are talking about.
“If they disturb me and they disturb my life, I will sue them."
When asked his next line of action, Dakolo said: “I don’t want to [talk about it anymore]. I have so much respect for these people. I have never performed that song anywhere.”

Comments

Popular Posts